When you think of excitement, “insurance” may not be the first word that pops into your head. But jobs in the insurance industry require a wide spectrum of skills and satisfy a wide variety of interests. From creative marketers to analytical left-brain number crunchers, there’s something for everyone.
If you’re looking for a career with opportunity, stability and yes, excitement, here are five reasons why insurance may be just the ticket.
- Insurance helps people in a time of crisis. If you’re interested in a meaningful career, what’s better than coming to the aid of others in distress? Without auto insurance, drivers would be at risk for financial devastation every time they got behind the wheel. Without life insurance, a family’s grief would be compounded by financial loss. Insurance provides comfort and reassurance that the car will be repaired, the home will be restored, and the family will go on. Working toward that goal can be incredibly rewarding.
- The insurance industry is always changing. Insurance touches every part of life — home, business, health, recreation and more. So when the world changes, so does insurance. For instance, thirty years ago no one saw a need for Data and Cyber Liability insurance. Today, it’s a must-have for businesses of all kinds. People working in the insurance industry are continuously learning about new technologies, new businesses, and current events. From climate change to blockchain technology, the insurance industry is on top of it all.
- The insurance industry welcomes everyone. Are you a people person? There’s a place for you, working directly with customers on their policies and claims. Prefer working with numbers? Become an actuary or underwriter to help determine acceptable levels of risk for the company (the position of Underwriter appeared on Forbes magazine’s list of 10 Happiest Jobs). Love a good mystery? Work as an insurance investigator to ferret out fraud. Most insurance careers offer on-the-job training, so you don’t need a specialized degree to get started.
- Opportunity abounds. The growth outlook for jobs in insurance is very positive. The projected growth for actuarial jobs, for example, is an astounding 18% over the decade from 2019 to 2029. Opportunities for insurance sales agents are on the rise as well.
- The insurance industry offers stability. Okay, so “stability” may not be the most exciting word, but there’s nothing exciting about wondering whether you’ll have a job next week or not. Even in the midst of the pandemic, insurance industry jobs were stable (while overall unemployment soared). Because insurance is necessary to so many parts of our lives, it’s a product that’s always in demand.